top of page




Frequently Asked Questions



What do I need to travel internationally?

You must have a valid passport from your home country. You can check here to see if the countries you plan on visiting have additional passport requirements (e.g., length of validity from departure date or number of blank pages available). We will obtain the visas for your travel to Africa.


You should also ensure that you have the proper vaccinations. This can be done through a travel clinic, a county health department, or your family physician. You can see a list of recommended vaccinations and other health information at the CDC travel website.


These sites have additional information for international travelers:


Travel Advisories (U.S. State Department)

Destination Information (U.S. State Department)

Destination Information (CIA)

Health Information (U.S. State Department)

Customs Information (Homeland Security)


Do I need to contact the embassy in the countries where we are staying?

We will enroll you in the US State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  This registers you with the nearest embassy or consulate.


The fees include international medical insurance; what kind of coverage is it?

Our policy comes from Cultural Insurance Services International.  You can find the policy brochure here.


Who should I contact in case of an emergency while we are abroad?

You should contact the local coordinator or faculty member living with you.  You will be given their local and US-based numbers before you leave.


How much should I budget for traveling and personal expenses?

We recommend budgeting $3,000 for travel (flights, hostels, etc.) and personal expenses (food, entrance fees to sites, souvenirs, etc.). Students can spend more or less depending on their budget and spending habits.



Which airport does the group depart from when traveling from the US to Europe?

The group flight departs from Washington Dulles International Airport.


Where are we staying in Lugano?

You are staying at local apartments owned by Franklin University Switzerland.


Are there any sites or destinations I am required to visit while in Europe?

Yes. As part of the study abroad program you are expected to visit historic and cultural sites in these cities:  Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, and Munich. Some of these locations will be guided visits with program leaders and some will be travel on your own.



Where are we staying in Africa?

You will stay in a hotel or guest house near your assigned non-profit's volunteer site.

Which meals are covered in Africa?

All meals are provided.


Do I need to bring my own sheets and towels?

Sheets and towels are provided by your accommodations.  You might want to bring your own sheets or towels for your travels.


How will I do my laundry?

Laundry varies at each site. Most locations you will hand wash. You will be provided with laundry soap and detergent. Clothing lines, buckets, and sinks will be available for you to use.


Will I have internet access while in Africa?

You will not have dedicated internet access at your accommodations, but internet cafes are available in the towns and affordable.


Can I drink the water in Africa?

No; bottled water will be provided for you.  Boiled water is also okay.

bottom of page